Friday, April 13, 2007

My Current Reading Material

I'm now reading SUPERSTUD: OR HOW I BECAME A 24-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN. It's a memoir by Paul Feig (who created the classic TV series FREAKS AND GEEKS) about the time when he was a teenager in the late '70s, then a college boy in the early '80s, all the while trying to pick up girls. It's really funny!

"While I slowly and nervously maneuvered my grandmother's aircraft carrier of a car through the sea of souped-up Cameros, TransAms, El Caminos, and Dusters, I looked at the occupants of the other vehicles. It was at that moment I suddenly realized this was the first real rock concert I had ever attended. I'd managed to fool myself into thinking the Saturday-afternoon Beach Boys concert my friend Craig had taken me to the past summer at the pastoral Pine Knob outdoor concert theater had made me a veteran of live rock shows. But seeing the rough-looking mustached and bearded burnouts of all ages crammed into their muscle cars, swilling down cans of beer and bottles of Jack Daniel's, passing around joints and screaming "FUCKIN' A!" at the top of their lungs as their car stereos blurted out Ted Nugent and Led Zeppelin songs, I realized that I was completely out of my element. This crowd seemed like pure, mind-altered aggression. Chances were slim that if one of these guys decided he wanted to beat me up, I could win him over by doing my impression of Dan Ackroyd doing his impression of Jimmy Carter or by making a quarter disappear by doing the French Drop sleight-of-hand move I had leared in my Bill Tarr's NOW YOU SEE IT, NOW YOU DON'T coin magic book. The most I could hope for was that the sight of Jill and her enormous bosoms walking next to me would get me the same respect that I seemed to be getting in the halls of my high school.

"Make sure Jill takes her coat off when we get inside, I mentally noted to myself."

I'll have to read Feig's other teenage memoir KICK ME.

No comments: