Saturday, April 23, 2016

CAROUSEL

"Julie's going to have a baby!" "So what?... My mother had a baby once"--Carousel

Wednesday night I saw Henry King's movie of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical Carousel at the Event Screen. (It was a combination of my History Discussion Group with Mathew's Meetup.) I'd seen it twice on video, but you really have to see it in a cinema!

This musical really grows on me.  It's deeply moving, though in a '50s sort of way:  it ends with a pretty conformist message, "If people don't like you,  solve your problem by liking them!" Gordon MacRae is a perfect Billy Bigelow, which is rather surprising since he was a last-second replacement for Frank Sinatra.

Thursday I went on another art walk on Dundas West, with an emphasis on Portuguese establishments.

I finally got my taxes done the other day.  They no longer mail you forms so we had to print them off the net.  Next year I should be able to do the whole thing online.

Rereading I, Claudius increased my admiration for it, but I'm staring to admire Claudius the God even more!  Very efficient writing.

We forgot to see Broken Blossoms and I ended up returning it a day late.

No comments: