Friday, December 16, 2016

ALL GOVERNMENTS LIE

"Maybe everybody needs Russians.  I'll bet even in Russia they need Russians.  Maybe they call it Americans"--Travels with Charley  
 
Last night I saw the documentary All Governments Lie at the Bloor.  It's about the legacy of I.F. Stone among today's non-mainstream muckraking journalists like Green Greenwald and Amy Goodman.  I must look up the websites intercept.com and tomdispatch.com , which the documentary mentioned.

Today I went to Yorkville library to find a copy of Truman Capote's wonderful story "A Christmas Memory," which I want to read part of at Reading Out Loud Meetup this Sunday.  The snow was pretty heavy, suitable for Christmas. (At the Bloor-Yonge station the TTC set up a fancy Christmas exhibit with some electric trains!)
 
This evening I went to a Non-Fiction Meetup event where we talked about what we'll be reading next year. (I ordered a chocolate lava cake.) I mentioned my theory that the Soviet system of shortages, rationing and long queues may be our future!
 
Father and Moira can't find anything interesting on Crave TV, so I've been looking at alternatives.  Both Acorn TV and Fandor look promising!
 
As you can see, I've noticed how to use a larger font on this blog. (I like nice big fonts!)


No comments: