Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Headache!

Last Wednesday and Thursday nights I found two interesting Zoom Meetups discussing art and cinema.

Friday night I saw Anthony Mann's 1964 epic The Fall of the Roman Empire (for the second time) with my watch party. It's intelligent but often awkward. Unfortunately, the streamed version was letterboxed and at least half an hour shorter than the one I'd seen on DVD.  I couldn't help comparing it to today's America:  Livius (Stephen Boyd) was like Bernie Sanders--a bit too principled and not self-serving enough--and Emperor Commodus (Christopher Plummer) resembled Donald Trump. Nice elegiac music by Dmitri Tiomkin.

John's so clever!  He arranged a system with a plank and a lifting blanket that's made it a lot easier to move Father from his bed to his chair.  Now we've ordered a swivel he can stand on so he won't have to turn by himself.

Last weekend I had a big headache!  It must have been from the changing weather.

No comments: