Monday, January 10, 2022

New year

Atticus Finch: "I wanted you to see something about her--I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand.  It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do"--To Kill a Mockingbird  


It's been two weeks, and my booster shot has taken full effect, so now I can go places again. (I've hardly gone anywhere since before Christmas.) But a lot of places are closed for a while--I had a feeling Covid might go on this long...


I've almost finished To Kill a Mockingbird.  As enjoyable as it is, I'd have to say it's a near-great novel.  Great courtroom stories like Anatomy of a Murder and Presumed Innocent have a greater sense of uncertainty.  But Atticus Finch is a great character--he reminds me of my late father--and Harper Lee is good at conveying the perspective of a child's memories.


For next month's History Meetup I've started reading Peter Crawford's The War of the Three Gods:  Romans, Persians, and the Rise of Islam.  It should be fun!


Moira accidentally bought some caffeine-free Diet Pepsi, which I don't usually drink.  But I got the idea to alternate between regular and caffeine-free to reduce my caffeine addiction! (I always worry that if I go without I'll get headaches...) She also got some grapefruit and I've started eating that again--the trick is to remove the skin of each section and only eat the pulp!


What New Year's resolutions do I have?  Well, I've talked to several ladies on the dating website ourtime.com but I've rarely invited them out for walk.  I'll try to take it to the next stage, especially after the pandemic eases.

No comments: