Monday, September 05, 2022

The consequences of insomnia

Last night I had a bout of insomnia.  It started when I dreamed of something I've probably mentioned here before:  One morning when I was 15 I had to bicycle to high school in the pouring rain, and when I came to a stop sign I pressed the brakes to stop like usual, but the road was so wet that I skidded into the intersection.  And a policeman stopped me and chewed me out, and I cried!  This wouldn't bother me if he'd just been more sympathetic, but he didn't give a shit.  He called me "my man," and I've hated that expression ever since.  I failed to cope with the world, and I can't redo it.  My parents clearly felt I was too sensitive, but there it is. (The asshole got fired a week or two later--I just wish I'd been there to kick him while he was down!)


Anyway I woke up from this dream and couldn't get back to sleep because I still feel so angry about it.  Not just mad at the cop, but at everyone who's told me I'm too sensitive! (They effectively said, "We can't expect anything else to be different, but we can expect you to force yourself to be less sensitive about it.") And mad at myself, too, for being unable to cope. Eventually I did get back to sleep, but didn't wake up till noon.


My memoir group has taken to choosing our topic the week before instead of waiting for the revelation an hour or two before meeting. (Please bear with me, this really isn't a digression!) And I like doing it that way because I have time to think and write longer pieces.  But Selia prefers to still hear the topic on the same day, so I promised to email it to her then.  But this week, waking up so late, I forgot to do so and she found out too late to participate this week!  As it was, I lost track of the time and barely managed to get dressed before the meeting was due to start. (Sylvie, blessings on her, says she'll email Selia future topics.)


What else has been happening in my life?  Last week I got my hair cut and noticed I look a bit like Lennart Brix, Detective Lund's icy boss on that Danish show The Killing, which we've almost finished. (As the British would say, it's pure dead brill!)


On Thursday I had lunch with Debbie.  We were going to eat Vietnamese at Dzo, but it turned out the place wasn't open for the lunch trade, so we ate Chinese hot pot at Mix2 Grill instead.  I told her, "It's all part of the adventure!"


For my next History Meetup topic, I've chosen Qin Shihuang's unification of China in 221 BC.  So I'll be reading Jonathan Clements' The First Emperor of China.  But I can't go borrow the book till tomorrow because it's Labour Day.


Last week I read that the families of the Munich Massacre's nine Israeli victims 50 years ago have come to an agreement with the German government for compensation. Meanwhile, it turns out that Israel's Operation Breaking Dawn the other month killed 46 Palestinians, including 17 children. (When will their  families get compensation?)


Fifteen years ago my four-month break from diary writing ended, so I've resumed posting my diary at https://thistime15yearsago.blogspot.com/ 

No comments: