Thursday, February 01, 2024

Burnout

I've quit as organizer of the History Meetup.  Nobody came to my last monthly event, discussing the Gilded Age.  I've been doing it for a decade and I guess I'm a burnout.  I'm showing two more movies in the Friday watch party--Isadora and My Life as a Dog--and doing one more monthly event, then I'm done.


My last monthly event will be about the fall of the Roman Empire, so I've been reading Peter Heather's book on the subject. (It's pretty good!)


I've now started catching up on my long backlog of Lapham's Quarterly issues. (I'm still reading the music issue.)


A few weeks ago I saw Michael Mann's Ferrari, which was pretty effective:  Adam Driver got to show some range.  The other day I saw Noryang:  Deadly Sea, about Korean admiral Yi Sunshin's final defeat of the Japanese in 1598.  It's a sequel to Hansan:  Rising Dragon which I saw a while ago, and now I really want to see The Admiral:  Roaring Currents, about his biggest victory.  I'm a sucker for these Asian naval movies...

No comments: