Saturday, July 04, 2015

Salsa on St. Clair

Sunday was the Classic Book Club, where we discussed The Yearling.  There were five of us, including someone who came because she thought it was the Poetry Meetup!

On Tuesday I saw the documentary THE GREAT MUSEUM at the Bloor.  It's about the Kunsthistoriche Museum in Vienna.  Another museum for my bucket list!  Their new chandelier-like electric lights have a very clever modern design.

On Thursday I borrowed Vanity Fair from the library.  I'd been hoping to finish the fraud issue of Lapham's Quarterly before starting it, but it's 800 pages long and I want to make sure to finish it before the next book club meeting.  Judging by the first chapters, it's pretty fun.

Thursday night I went to see the French-Czech animated science fiction feature Fantastic Planet at the Revue (for the second time, but the first time in a cinema). The place was packed and I was lucky to get in!  It's original but the animation is rather basic. (They also showed an odd French animated short titled Les Escargots.)

This weekend is the Salsa on St. Clair street festival.  I went to Hillcrest Park to read Vanity Fair and escape the noise. (I've developed a fantasy of meeting a girl who's reading a book of her own there...) On the way there, I saw another house that put out its excess books for whoever wants them, and I got a copy of Ken Follet's The Pillars of the Earth! (That's a book I mean to read one of these years.  I think Dr. Hassan liked it.)

Someone online accused Bernie Sanders of trying to "hijack" the Democratic Party.  If this be hijacking, make the most of it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perfectly fascinating as always. It is striking that you keep the focus entirely on yourself -- and why not? It is your blog or journal. Lots of time to read Vanity Fair. Are you enjoyed or did you enjoy The Sorrows of Young Werther?