Saturday, June 27, 2015

New books!

Monday night I saw The King and I with the Movie Meetup group at the Event Screen (for the second time, but the first time in a cinema). I think this is what Edward Said meant by "orientalism." It's best for the Thai ballet of Uncle Tom's Cabin.  The real King Mongkut was far more enlightened than the semi-civilized clown the western world imagines.

Thursday I went on an art walk along Dundas Street.  We stopped at a Portuguese-themed boutique and I bought the children's book Coracao de Mae (mother's heart). Then we went to the Monkey's Paw bookstore.  I'd hoped to try their vending machine that sells you a random book for two dollars, but it needed restocking.  I did buy The Book of Flags, The Odd Book of Facts, Great Cities of the World and Women in the Comics.  But when I was through buying them, I couldn't find the rest of the group and missed the rest of the walk!

Later that evening I went to the revue and saw Robert Wise's boxing classic The Set-Up.  They also had a boxing-themed Three Stooges short and the Warner Brothers cartoon To Duck or Not to Duck. ("You know, there's something awfully screwy about this fight, or my name isn't Larrimore--and it isn't.")

Wednesday I went to Shopper's Drug Mart to replenish my cipralex prescription.  It turned out that it wouldn't be ready until the next day, possibly the late afternoon, so I didn't have time to pick it up then what with the art walk.  I would have got it yesterday but I was under the weather.  I finally got it today.

I've been watching Royal Heritage on Youtube.  That's a 1977 BBC documentary series in connection with the Silver Jubilee, depicting the British monarchy's history and collections. (Several of the Royals make appearances.) I remember seeing some of it back at the time, especially the part where Prince Charles goofs around with an old microscope the future George III used.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fascinating as always, James!