Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Break's over

I got pretty lazy the last couple of weeks.  Not only did I stop posting on this blog, I stopped baking bread because we ran out of whole-wheat flour and I wasn't motivated enough to buy some more. (I was buying some fresh peaches and stuff today, but I forgot to get the flour!)

Last Wednesday I went to the St. Paul's nomination meeting where we nominated Noah Richler, literary critic and son of novelist Mordecai Richler.  Someone made popsicles with an orange-vanilla flavour, and I ate mine so fast that I got brain freeze!  Stephen Lewis gave a speech.  Dave Koppes, whom I know from my Aspie Meetup, was doing volunteer work there.

It was the same night that Bernie Sanders gave a podcast that 100,000 people gathered to watch.  Funny how I'm excited about Sanders' campaign but I'm afraid to get excited about the NDP prospects in the upcoming federal election.  No doubt I'll be volunteering for that campaign. (I didn't get involved with last year's provincial campaign because I couldn't find the local office, and it turns out they didn't have an office in this riding!)

Last night I saw Best of Enemies, about the Gore Vidal-William F Buckley feud, at the Lightbox.  It was pretty enjoyable.  People of the Buckley school have a lot to answer for regarding the state of the US today!

Today I completed both the Spring issue of Lapham's Quarterly and Thackeray's Vanity Fair.  It's an amazing novel!  Now I'll be turning to the summer issue (about philanthropy) and Margaret MacMillan's The War That Ended the Peace, about the world in 1914.

No comments: