Sunday, August 23, 2015

Campaign office

Last Sunday the Classic Book Club met, and we talked about Thackeray's Vanity Fair.  We got seven or eight people, and some of them had suggestions about books to do.  Looks like we're becoming successful!

I've started doing volunteer work at the Noah Richler campaign for the NDP in St. Paul's. (I haven't seen Richler there yet.) There's quite a variety of chores On Wednesday I wrote poll numbers on folders with a marker all the way up to Poll 129.  Friday I taped leaflets onto the back of the clipboards the canvassers will be using. (We used the transparent tape to cover the whole leaflet to make it waterproof.) Saturday I wrote poll numbers again, but this time I also put maps of poll districts into the folders! (There were some Timbits.) They have a new system for data entry, and I hope I can learn it quickly.

I've almost finished the fourth season of Hell on Wheels.  The show's been getting even more unpleasant, and I respect that!  Too bad the latest episode had that tired "What becomes of men like us?" discussion.

One of my Facebook groups is about the Roman Empire.  I've started posting my amateur translation of Caesar's account of the Gallic Wars, one mini-chapter at a time.  I'm just getting up to the Battle of the Saone River.

I found another good quote in The War That Ended the Peace!  At the start of World War I a German general wrote, "If we will all perish, it's been nice."

No comments: