Friday, December 18, 2015

LEGEND (spoiler)

"We honeymooned in Greece.  The Parthenon has been standing there for 2400 years.  Reggie's promise to go straight lasted two weeks)"--Legend

Last night was the choir's last concert, this time at the Columbus Centre.  My tenor voice still isn't as strong as I'd like, and I considered returning to baritone, but I decided to stay for now. (Gary from the memoir group visited us at Monday's dress rehearsal.  He's thinking of joining the choir, but he'll have to audition.  I didn't have to audition a dozen years ago.)

Since's it's Christmas time, I've been playing Candy Crush Saga and Pet Rescue Saga.  I'd forgotten how tough Level 42 in the first game can be!

Wednesday night I saw Legend at Canada Square.  It started 45 minutes later than I expected, so I went over to Indigo Books and bought Ken McGoogan's Celtic Lightning, which the History Discussion Group will be reading soon.

Legend is about the Kray twins, notorious gangsters in Swinging London. (One was insane and ended up in Broadmoor.) Tom Hardy played both roles, with a little help from special effects, and it was pretty creepy.  I saw an earlier version, The Krays, at the Showcase before that cinema closed. (In that version they were played by twins Gary and Martin Kemp from Spandau Ballet.) The main thing I remember about the earlier version is a scene where they've been drafted into the army and their drill sergeant is giving the group his "Make any trouble and you'll wish you'd never been born!" speech, then they go up to him and beat him unconscious!

This version contained a narrative cheat, but I can't talk about it without a spoiler:

*

*

*

Are you sure you want to read the spoiler?

*

*

*

Don't say you weren't warned!

*

*

*

The movie's narrated by Reg's wife, but it turns out that she died before the final scenes, so some of what she's describing is things she didn't live to see!

No comments: