Friday, March 04, 2016

Super Tuesday

In case you're wondering, I've proved well enough for the last week of the opera.  I even managed to bake the gingerbread for them to sell as I'd promised. (It sold out completely!) Before tonight's performance of Elixir, while putting on my makeup, as usual I put a kleenex over my peasant costume's neckline to keep it from being smudged.  Only tonight, I forgot to take it off and wore the kleenex onstage!  And the twist is, it actually improved the costume a bit.

After Super Tuesday, some Clintonites have been claiming that the Sanders campaign is finished.  They remind me of General Santa Anna in Texas Rising saying about Sam Houston's Texan army, "They're too stupid to realize they've lost the war!" (He says this after taking the Alamo but before being routed and captured at San Jacinto.)

Last night I finally finished Celtic Lightning and can now focus on finishing I, Claudius.  The battle scenes are tightly depicted, reflecting Robert Graves' own experience in World War I.  The depiction of Rome's war with Germany surely has a subtext about that conflict.  No doubt there's also a subtext about the uneasy British Empire between the world wars.

After really warm weather on Sunday, it got really cold again for the last few days.  I can't wait to be finished with my winter boots!

Our cable company is now offering a la carte channel subscriptions, so I'm now considering what we might pick up.  The CBC and BBC news channels are our highest priorities, and al-Jazeera and CNN International also sound interesting.  I'm also thinking of Turner Classic Movies.

No comments: