Friday, October 21, 2016

Acting class

"You're about as fatale as an after-dinner mint!"--Cabaret
 
I'm now reading Bill Bryson's short biography Shakespeare:  The World as Stage (for the second time) for the History Discussion Group.  It's one in a series of Eminent Lives biographies, which could be convenient as background for future events in this Meetup.  Seems that in Elizabethan theatres it was customary to follow up a play by dancing a jig, even after tragedies!
 
Tuesday when I went to Alexiy's singing lesson the transit was against me!  First I just missed the St. Clair streetcar and had to wait twenty minutes for the next.  Then the Yonge subway line was moving slowly.  Then at Richmond Hill Centre I had to wait over fifteen minutes for the High Tech Drive bus.  When I finally got to Alexiy's house I was over forty minutes late, and got him to postpone our lesson till next week so he'd have enough time for a full one.   At least my York Region transit ticket was good for two hours, so I didn't have to buy a return ticket.
 
Half of Tuesday's opera rehearsal was an acting session, for which we divided into three groups.  Each group pretended to play a sport, and mine did baseball. (I was either shortstop or third base.) Then each group formed dioramas displaying given emotions.  We also did improvised dances, and did emotions with (non-verbal) sounds alone, then facial expressions alone, then body movements alone, then all three at once.  Those sessions are always fun.

It was really warm on Tuesday, then got cooler again the next day.  These temperature swings give me headaches!
 
Last night the Political Meetup met to watch the last U.S. Presidential debate on a Scallywag's screen.  I came just to hang with the others and didn't stay for the debate itself.  I was talking a lot to Carron, who resembles Cecilia Bartoli!
 
Tonight the History Discussion Group showed Bob Fosse's Cabaret. (I scheduled an event for next week where we'd go to the movies and see Birth of a Nation, but nobody was interested.) I'd seen it quite a few times, but it's always worth seeing again.  It's a terrific production, and the scene where the young Nazi sings "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" is jaw-dropping!  I want to read Good-Bye to Berlin someday! (But the two flashback montages near the end are definitely a cliche.)
 
I brought in some more potatoes and all the carrots from the garden the other day.  There are still some spuds and one head of cauliflower left.

The other day I was learning scientific Portuguese on Duolingo.  But scientific words are particularly easy because they tend to come from Latin and Greek in both Portuguese and English!

No comments: