Thursday, October 13, 2016

Free samples

Sunday night the Google Player problem righted itself.  It must have helped that I upgraded the Mac operating system to the new Sierra and moved to the Foxfire browser.  I got some worm in the Safari browser so that whenever I reopened the window it took me to some page I didn't want.

I've been reading that book about short-lived TV series.  After the first season in 1948, I went to the 1978 end and started working backward.  It only goes into detail about a minority of them, and not always the most interesting ones. (With ebooks you don't get the luxury of flipping through them to get an overview.)

One interesting thing about ebooks is that they'll give you the first six pages free as a sample.  Do you remember when I talked about those French comics featuring a little bear called Petzi who sailed over the world with his friends, which was based on a Danish comic about Rasmus Klump?  I've been looking at the start of some Rasmus Klump adventures in their original Danish, and using Google Translate on the captions.  The catch is that I don't know how to enter the "A" with a circle on top or the "O" with a slash.  I've also been looking at some French comics. (None of the Spanish Mortadelo y Filemon comics, alas.)

Tonight I went to the Political Discussion Meetup, which they've now moved to Scallywag's.  I mentioned that after the Clinton-Trump debate someone online asked "Who won the debate?" and I posted, "I won, because I didn't watch it"!  On Salon and The Huffington Post I've been writing, in effect, "Trump's going to lose anyway so go ahead and vote for Jill Stein!"

I've been having some more unusual dreams.  In one I was on a luxury ship with my father (we'd got booked at the last minute) and following him down a long escalator a short distance behind, but when I got to the bottom I'd lost him and couldn't figure out which of the two possible ways he'd gone.  In another we had a house in Amherst, N.S., near my hometown of Sackville, N.B.--we never had a house there--and I was in the basement and found a lot of interesting books there, including some Classics Illustrated comics.  And I was also dreaming about that cheesy scene at the start of Dirty Harry where Clint Eastwood challenges a punk to guess whether or not his Magnum is out of bullets...

On Duolingo I've just been learning how to say "I've been doing" in Portuguese.  In that language you say it as "I've done" instead! (In French I think you say it as "I do"...)

The other day we ate scalloped potatoes, cauliflower and carrots out of our garden.

No comments: