Monday, November 07, 2016

THE WIZARD OF OZ

Dorothy: "But, Aunt Em has told me that the witches were all dead--years and years ago...."

The Witch of the North: "... In the civilized countries I believe there are no witches left, nor wizards, nor sorceresses, nor magicians.  But, you see, the Land of Oz has never been civilized, for we are cut off from all the rest of the world.  Therefore we still have witches and wizards amongst us"--The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Well, just after writing the last post I downloaded the Kobo app and was able to read my Wizard of Oz ebook.  I got the idea of translating that book into Portuguese, since children's books have fairly simple language, and I've finished the first chapter! (The Portuguese word for wizard is "feitoceiro," and I've translated "munchkin" as "munchinho," using the Portuguese diminutive.) One thing I noticed is that for a children's fantasy, the first paragraphs about Dorothy's Kansas home are amazingly realistic!  I thought of the Joads.

I'm still reading Spoon River Anthology, which I imagine is best for older readers. (Gore Vidal said you have to be over thirty to enjoy Proust.) I've started imagining what my posthumous Spoon River poem might be.  I translated the first poem, "The Hill," into Portuguese ("A Colina"). I've also been translating the first chapters of Julius Caesar's Latin account of the Gallic Wars into Portuguese.  Yes, I know that I start more things than I finish. "That a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

Wednesday night the History Discussion Group met to discuss Tudor England, but the rain depressed turnout severely. (Someone marked the wrong date as well, and Debi is working on a play on Wednesday nights just now.) But loyal Jane did show up.  She's said that I know everything about everything, and my response is that I know about everything except life...

Saturday I went to the Royal Winter Fair for the first time in years. (It got me out of the house.) Outside there was an animal rights group protesting against "speciesism," and I took their pamphlet.  I remember that years ago I got some nice bread at this Mennonite bakery display, but they don't seem to have it any more.

Margaret came over this weekend because her son Alec was in a foot race, where he finished twelfth in the province!  I was hoping that Donald would come over too and figure out my ebook problems, but he had a cough and didn't want to spread it.  I hope he gets well soon enough.

I finally got through Level 315 of Candy Crush Saga.  That one's a lulu!

No comments: