Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Bits and pieces

Last Thursday I went to the Non-Fiction Meetup at the Reference library, where we discussed Barack Obama's Dreams About My Father.  I read the book several years ago but kind of remember it. (Obama makes a better writer than a president!) Afterward we went to Jack Astor's where I ordered the root beer float!

Sunday night I was hours getting to sleep. (Serves me right for napping in the daytime!) When I finally slept, I had this dream where I was playing in some forested, sloping land near my hometown of Sackville, but I kept noticing corpses all over the place!  Maybe Halloween had something to do with it.

At the memoir group yesterday one of our subjects was The Wizard of Oz. (We managed to say a lot about that!) The other day I downloaded a free Ebook of L. Frank Baum's original version, but it was at Kobo and I don't know how to read it on this computer.  Looks like I'll need Donald's assistance again.

Today was my last singing lesson with Andriy for a while.  I was a bit less tense than usual.  The day was pretty warm for November!

I finished reading By the Shores of Silver Lake and started reading Edgar Lee Masters' Spoon River Anthology. (I'm reading the copy the Burkes from Newfoundland gave me.) Once you start reading those poems, it's hard to stop!

At opera rehearsal tonight they were tarring the roof over the auditorium so there was a bit of a smell.  We started learning The Merry Widow but I forgot to bring the score!  Fortunately, the other tenor had an extra copy.

The Lusiades is the sort of poem Russians might like, what with its bombastic style!

No comments: