Friday, August 02, 2019

HOWARDS END

"Their house was in Wickham Place, and fairly quiet, for a lofty promontory of building separated it from the main thoroughfare.  One had the sense of a backwater, or rather of an estuary, whose waters flowed in from the invisible sea, and ebbed into a profound silence while the waves without were still beating.  Though the promontory consisted of flats--expensive, with cavernous entrance halls, full of concierges and palms--it fulfilled its purpose, and gained for the older houses opposite a certain measure of peace.  These, too, would be swept away in time, and another promontory would rise upon their site, as humanity piled itself higher and higher on the precious soil of London"--Howards End

Our back yard garden has produced half a dozen magnificent zucchinis!  I've already given away three to friends.

Tuesday I had lunch with Maria and Sergei from my Crowdreads Meetup at the Banjara Eglinton.  I ordered too much and got a doggy bag for the leftover rice and nan bread. (The next day at home, we ate Indian food and added that in.) Later, in the lobby of the Yonge & Eglinton cinema, they introduced me to a game that's like Scrabble but with playing cards, whose name I've already forgotten.  For some reason being with friends wears me out, and I ended up with a headache!

The same day I finished the Haiti history and went to the North York Central library to borrow Samuel Butler's The Way of All Flesh for my book club.  I found the shelf where it should have been, but it wasn't there! (Stolen?) So I ordered it online from Chapters-Indigo, and it should take a week.

In the meantime, I've started reading E.M. Forster's Howards End for John S.'s book club. I was afraid I wouldn't have time to finish it and would have to watch the movie for the second half, but the event was delayed a month so Bob's your uncle!  I'll read the first part before The Way of All Flesh and the second part after.  I've so far read the first 40 pages and I'm not yet sure what the story's about--I have a feeling it's the sort of story where you read the whole thing, then realize what it's about!  One of the characters was comparing Debussy to Monet--I see him more as Cezanne!

No comments: