Friday, October 25, 2019

Election day

"All these difficulties, and many others I will not mention, would cease if there were at court an intelligent and judicious person who would examine each play before it was performed, not only those produced in the capital, but also those put on anywhere in Spain, and without his approval, stamp, and signature, no magistrate anywhere would permit a play to be performed; in this fashion, the players would be careful to send their plays to court, and then they could perform them in safety, and those who write them would consider what they were doing with more thought and care, knowing that their works would have to undergo a rigorous examination by one who understands the art; in this way good plays would be written and their purposes achieved; the entertainment of the common people, the good opinion of creative minds in Spain, the legitimate interests and safety of the actors, and the avoidance of the need to punish them"--Don Quixote



I voted Monday morning.  I mostly skipped the campaign's post-election bash (at a pub confusingly named The Gym!) because the noise gets to me.  I went home and streamed Peter Yates' movie The Deep, just for Robert Shaw.  It was kinda fun in an obvious way--the white characters were good guys and the black characters were bad guys, sort of like white and black cowboy hats in a western. Anything but deep.

Sure, I'm disappointed about the election.  In my next post I'll talk about what the results would have been under the proportional representation system I favour. (Stay tuned!)

Tuesday night I went to a dessert event for the Meetup for people over 50, at Demetres Danforth. Only a few people showed up, but I had a nice crepe dish with strawberry ice cream inside!

Wednesday John was digging more dirt from around the water pipe in the basement, and Moira and I were toting it out to the back yard.  There was a lot of dirt left over and I was hoping I'd get to move some of it, but by the time I was ready Moira had moved all of it! (Don't know how she does it without tiring...)

Tonight I saw the DVD of Richard Harris in Cromwell (for the second time) with the History Meetup.  Parts of it sounded like a stage play!

I've finished the first half of Don Quixote, and now I can focus on the book about Balkan history.

No comments: