Friday, January 10, 2020

History Meetup

"This frequently gave me occasion to observe, and that with wonder, that however it had pleas'd God, in his Providence, and in the government of the works of his hands, to take from so great a part of the world of his creatures, the best uses to which their faculties, and the powers of their souls are adapted; yet that he has bestow'd upon them the same powers, the same reason, the same affections, the same sentiments of kindness and obligation, the same passions and resentments of wrongs; the same sense of gratitude, sincerity, fidelity, and all the capacities of doing good, and receiving good, that he has given to us; and that when he pleases to offer to them occasions of exerting these, they are as ready, nay, more ready to apply them to the right uses for which they were bestow'd, than we are"--Robinson Crusoe

"Are there any left?" "Too many!"--The Rise of Skywalker

Yesterday, at the Yorkdale, I saw the ninth Star Wars movie, The Rise of Skywalker. (It was an afternoon screening, and hardly anyone was there.) Like the previous ones, it was competent but not really necessary.

Today I went to see my psychiatrist, but I'd forgotten that my appointment was the day before! (I'm so used to going on Thursdays that it didn't register with me that this one was on Wednesday...) I had some paperwork, but it'll have to wait a couple of weeks till my new appointment.

Also today, a doctor came to see Father so we had to make everything clean. (My eyes just aren't as sharp about noticing dust as the others in the family!)

Tonight was the first History Meetup of the new year, which I'm now doing on Thursdays. (The subject was the Crusades.) There were a dozen people paying the $5 annual dues, so I'm flush with cash just now.  I brought my Julia doll to serve as the talking stone, and she seemed popular.

I'm almost finished Robinson Crusoe.

No comments: