Friday, March 06, 2020

Classic Book Club

Tuesday John P. and I visited the Royal Ontario Museum.  Like the AGO, John has a membership so he got me in free, including the exhibit of award-winning wildlife photographs. (My favorites were one of a buffalo in the winter and one that a Hungarian kid took that looked like an impressionist painting!) Afterward he treated me to dinner at the Museum Tavern, where I had fish and chips.

Wednesday I had a huge headache! (Must have been the weather, of course.) That night I saw a Kirov Ballet production of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake on Youtube.  I hadn't seen the whole thing before, except for Matthew Bourne's strange '90s version with the male swans.  But I had seen the second act when I was 12 and we saw a touring Bolshoi Ballet in Wolfville, N.S., just after Mikhail Baryshnikov had defected from them in Toronto.  Mother thought they looked demoralized...

Today my Classic Book Club discussed Steppenwolf.  Only three people showed up (including me), and there was a private event at Dora Keogh so we had to move to Zaza Espresso a few blocks away.  But we had an interesting enough conversation!


I've been watching more of Doug Walker's Nostalgia Critic movie pans on Youtube. (He's reviewed all four Care Bears videos!) The other day I saw his attack on the misconceived live-action version of Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat, which reminded me of a horror movie. Among Doug's costars, Rachel Teitz was really funny playing a little girl.

No comments: