Friday, March 13, 2020

THE VERTIGO YEARS

I've finished the books on the French Revolution and started Philipp Blom's The Vertigo Years:  Change and Culture in the West, 1900-1914.  It's a fascinating look at the world just before the Great War broke out, the historical period that interests me the most. (Moira's already read it.) I'm reading it for next month's History Meetup.

And tonight was this month's History Meetup, where we discussed the French Revolution.  Ten people came despite the coronavirus scare.  The Dora Keogh people were nice enough to give us a room in the back!  It had a rather low overhead light, so I felt like we were a group of revolutionaries getting together to plot an insurrection or something... (I've been watching that series about Trotsky on Netflix.)

Yes, I am depressed about the Democratic primaries.  If any Democrat can blow the November election, it's Doddering Joe!  Democrats who vote to nominate him aren't just idiots but cowards.  They're already bringing back the "Vote Blue No Matter Who!" mantra, which is preaching to the choir. "It doesn't matter who we're nominating, just vote for him unanimously!" isn't the best way to win over the "swing voters" you need in the general election.  It's a signal that you've already lost the argument.  It's demoralizing that the Democratic Party keeps repeating the same mistakes year after year...

I misplaced that book of Walt Whitman poems I bought a couple of months ago, so I had to buy a new copy at Chapters-Indigo near Eglinton Station.  Someone in the book club wanted me to post a scan of the cover so she could get the same copy, but in the end I could only describe it.

Last Saturday afternoon I met Maria and Sergey at Demetre's near Chester Station for a crepe.  I'm always glad to meet them.

On Youtube I saw the first video in the Nostalgia Critic series, posted over a decade ago.  It's a scream! (See above.)


No comments: