Friday, August 13, 2021

Corn on the cob!

This time of year the supermarkets are selling really fresh corn at low prices!  Moira doesn't like corn on the cob herself, but she gets it for me unilaterally, blessings on her.


I've started reading Edith Wharton's Ethan Frome for my Book Club Meetup.  I'm also reading Ghost Empire, about Cavalier de la Salle, who claimed the Mississippi basin for France but whose attempt at colonizing Texas ended with his own men shooting him!  That's for next month's History Meetup, whose subject is New France.


Last week my historical movie watch party showed Ed Zwick's Legends of the Fall, which I hadn't seen before.  Didn't care for it:  the Brad Pitt character just seemed like a jerk to me.  The Italians seem to do this sort of family saga better than Americans:  see Padre, Padrone or Rocco and His Brothers.


This week we showed The Painted Veil, based on W. Somerset Maugham's novel about an unhappy medical missionary couple in China.  The story's a bit conventional, but the lead actors Edward Norton and Naomi Watts brought something convincing to their roles.


I've now written several haikus:


March, the year's best time!

From cold to cool, then to warm:

Ice and snow melting.


September passes,

Grey morning frost on green grass.

Winter will yet wait.


Old man plants a tree,

Its shade and fruit for others.

Greatest act of faith!


March Fundy spring tides,

Big brown chunks of dirty ice,

Highest in the world!


Wet snow, almost rain,

Big flakes good for snowballs but

Soon to be icy!

No comments: