Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Dog days

I've been feeling a bit lazy lately. Even writing to women on the Our Time dating site feels like a chore.


Well, Trudeau Jr. went ahead and did it!  He called a snap election when we still aren't finished with this pandemic.  The other week I went on an NDP canvassing run and even got to meet the local candidate Sidney Coles.  I'm doing another run tonight.


I finished Ghost Empire and my next history book will be Justinian's Flea, about how Justinian tried to restore the Roman Empire in the 6th Century AD but got thwarted by a devastating plague. (It was a consequence of increased international trade, like COVID-19.)


Our Short Story Meetup was just discussing Virginia Woolf and our next author will be Katherine Mansfield. (I should do To the Lighthouse in my Book Club.  I'm also thinking of Stephen Leacock.)


I recently saw a particularly good story on that anime One Piece.  It's a prequel about when Luffy and his blood brother Ace were young and getting started in mischief, along with a boy called Sabo, who resembled the Artful Dodger.


For the next two weeks my Friday History Meetup watch party will be showing Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima, Clint Eastwood's two movies about the Battle of Iwo Jima, from the American and Japanese perspectives respectively.


In Saturday night's thunderstorm a couple of lightning bolts seemed really close!

No comments: