Wednesday, March 29, 2023

FINNEGANS WAKE

 "The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy"--Finnegans Wake


I've joined a new Meetup group that's reading James Joyce's Finnegans Wake a couple of pages at a time.  The language is really complicated! (Notice that the title has no apostrophe...) Fortunately I've found the webpage finwake.com with an annotated text.  We meet online on Sunday nights.


I've also taken over an online Meetup group for reading short stories. (I enjoyed Farshad's similar Meetup, but he returned to Iran and that group disappeared.) Yesterday I had an event where we discussed Alice Munro's "Day of the Butterfly" and "Bardon Bus" and next month we'll do Stephen Leacock's hilarious parody collection Nonsense Novels.


I've caught up with the manga version of One Piece, having seen episode 1079! (They're now on a scientific research island called Egghead.)


On my Friday night watch party I've been showing some movies that even I haven't seen!  In recent weeks there's been the Japanese samurai-era movie Gate of Hell and Barry Levinson's Baltimore-set Liberty Heights, and last week it was the newsboy musical Newsies. (This week I'm showing The Thin Red Line, which I did see 25 years ago...)


The Labour Party's National Executive Committee finally went and deselected ex-leader Jeremy Corbyn!  Very tacky, and I've been vocal about it on Twitter.  It's time for the British left to form a new party. (I think of the Reservoir Dogs line "Are you gonna bark all day, Little Doggie, or are you gonna bite?" It's time for the left to bite.)

No comments: