Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Busy week

"Why did they fire you?"
"Because they're idiots!"

--Blackberry


I don't eat out with people much, but this last week I did it four times!  On Tuesday I had lunch with Debbie at Thai Noodles, which was quite good. (Tuesday was also Moira's birthday, and we had the whole family over for Indian food!)


I'm now reading A Short History of the Phoenicians.


We got the garden planted, but when I planted the potatoes I got into the area where Moira had planted kale! (We'll have to plant some more of that.)


We just saw the Italian series Made in Italy on topic.com .  (It was a priority because they're taking it off at the end of the month.) It's about a young woman in 1970s Milan who gets a job at a fashion magazine.  A cute, handsome show, but oddly predictable:  even when I didn't guess what would happen next, I felt like I should have guessed it!


Friday Moira and I had lunch with Puitak and Gordon at the City Hall cafe.  We walked all the way downtown, which got me a bit closer to my daily mile ambition. (Some days I get to a full mile or even more, but on other days I barely get out of the house...)


Saturday I had dinner with Maria and Sergey.  We were going to eat at the Black Tulip Hungarian restaurant around the corner, but it turned out we needed a reservation! (It must be getting popular...) So we went to the Raahi Indian restaurant instead.  Afterward we came back to my house and we played Quiddler, that Scrabble-like card game.


Yesterday I saw Blackberry with John P. at the Varsity, the true story of the meteoric cellphone company. (First we went into the wrong theatre and saw the first minute of The Starling Girl!) It's an excellent movie, intelligent and witty with some particularly Canadian touches.  The executive played by Michael Ironside kept making me think of Burl Ives!  Now I want to see Cat on a Hot Tin Roof again... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Big Daddy" didn't ooze so much... ooziness. Ironside's take on Purdy was great!