Tuesday, September 15, 2026

The rainstorm

    A couple of weeks ago Toronto had a huge rainstorm, the same night I'd made a commitment to attend a nicetomeet.com dinner at the Keg on the Esplanade!  My streetcar got stuck, but I was just happy to have a dry place to wait.  Eventually, after the rain let up, I walked to the subway.  I was 40 minutes late, but they didn't hold it against me.


    Last week was another such event at Joey near King station.  Like Moxie's, it was too loud for me.  Oh well, they may as well err on the side of variety.  I just hope they don't choose that sort of place all the time...


    I'm now reading Ken Dryden's The Class for my book club.  The hockey athlete-politician interviewed almost all the people in his old Etobicoke high-school class.  It isn't an easy read for me, because I keep comparing my own life to these big achievers!  My next book will be Justin Pollard's Alfred the Great:  The Man who Made England, for my monthly History Meetup event.  Nobody comes to these events, but enjoy choosing the books and writing the topic descriptions so much that I don't care. (Rather eccentric of me.)


    Next week I'm discussing Canada in the early 20th century at the History Salon.  I plan to eventually talk about China and the USA...


    A couple of months ago I had a backlog of over a thousand unopened emails, but I finally reduced them to almost none.


    It's time for me to quit those computer games.  I might as well do it now, but they're pretty addictive.


    Recently my dreams have included variations on familiar themes.  I've often dreamed of visiting England again, but in my latest dream I lost interest and wanted to return right away! Some of my dreams have been set in a university library that was also a supermarket:  in the latest one I felt indifferent to food and books and everything, and only my anger about welfare "reform" aroused my passion.  And I've had a whole lot of dreams of visiting my old home in Sackville, N.B.  But now I've dreamed of visiting the street it was on in the 1950s, years before I was born and before it was built! (In this dream there was a music school nearby.)

No comments: