Saturday, August 02, 2014

A cold!

I've had a bit of a cold for the last couple of days.  But I still managed to make the Bible Meetup yesterday evening.  It was at the Second Cup in the North York Civic Centre, and I ordered some hot cider, which should be good for the cold.  The Bible Meetup wasn't really my sort of thing--I'm not religious enough--but I did try it. (I missed a Movie Meetup that was going to the Beatles movie A Hard Day's Night.)

I've just joined several Meetup groups.  One is for Aspies who only got diagnosed later in life.  Another is for people who admire the comic strip artist Alex Raymond (Flash Gordon, Rip Kirby).

I've started resuming my translation of that Chinese novel Wandering Youth.  It's a 1950s anticommunist potboiler with a nice girl and a bad girl.  In the part I'm now at the bad girl is telling the nice girl her life story, which involves her running away from her aunt's home to escape her uncle's lust and marrying a dissolute good for nothing out of necessity.

I'm now reading Gabriel Garcia-Marquez' "magical realist" novel Love in the Time of Cholera, and it's pretty amazing. (I loved the author's 100 Years of Solitude.) I'm reading it for the Book and Brunch Meetup three weeks from now.

No comments: