Saturday, January 19, 2019

NOTHING LIKE A DAME

"I can't read." "Of course you can't!  No-one has time for it these days"--Being There

Tuesday I saw Nothing Like a Dame at the Bloor.  It's a documentary about Dames Maggie Smith, Joan Plowright, Judi Dench and Eileen Atkins getting together to discuss acting, husbands and lots of stuff.  Tasty talk if you like them.

Wednesday night the History Meetup screened The Battle of Britain. (I was seeing it for the second time.) It's pretty hard to dramatize a battle that was essentially a long sequence of skirmishes.

Tonight I saw Hal at the Bloor.  It's a documentary about near-great director Hal Ashby, who made some of the most interesting movies of the '70s but couldn't get anywhere in '80s Hollywood.  A pretty sad story, really.  One can't help noticing how prophetic his Being There was, with brainless Peter Sellers ending up with people deciding to make him President--a minute later there's footage of Ronald Reagan! (Though Reagan was far less benign...)

The anime The Rose of Versailles has got to the point of the Diamond Necklace Scandal that tainted Marie Antoinette a few years before the French Revolution broke out.  I know a bit about that because when I was a kid we had the Classics Illustrated comic of Dumas' historical novel The Queen's Necklace!

Last week I finally got past Level 1893 of Candy Crush Saga, and now I've reached Level 1900!

No comments: