Thursday, June 27, 2019

My favorite record album titles

"She discovered that, despite the enthusiastic young writers, the drama was not half so native and close to the soil as motor cars and telephones.  She discovered that simple arts required sophisticated training.  She discovered that to produce one perfect stage-picture would be as difficult as to turn all of Gopher Prairie into a Georgian garden"--Main Street

The part of Main Street dealing with Carol's ill-fated attempts to stage a local play is really funny!

On Twitter last week there was a really heated discussion of Israel that crowded out the rest of my notification feed!  I ended up muting a few people, something I normally avoid. (Muting isn't the same as blocking, it just means I don't get notified of their posts.)

The other day I started a Twitter thread asking people what their favorite record album titles were.  Other tweeters mentioned the Mothers of Invention's Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Caravan's For Girls Who Go Plump in the Knight, The Cum Drops' Balls Out and Other Acts of Freakery, and Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols.

Now here's my list of favorite album titles, including a few I've just thought of now. (Of course, this has nothing to do with the contents of these albums, most of which I haven't heard.)

Bob Newhart, Button Down Mind

Bill Cosby, Wonderfulness

The Rolling Stones, Goat's Head Soup (not so much that I like that title, but I have to admit it's original!)

Miles Davis, Bitches' Brew

Ted Nugent, Scream Dream

Van Halen, Women and Children First and (read it slowly) OU812

Reo Speedwagon, Hi Infidelity

Oh No, It's Devo!

Elton John, Too Low For Zero

The Police, Synchronicity

Styx, Kilroy Was Here

Foreigner, Agent Provocateur

Wynton Marsalis, Hothouse Flowers

Wham!, Music From the Edge of Heaven

Peter Gabriel, So

Kate Bush, The Hounds of Love

Joe Walsh, Got Any Gum? (I like the sheer goofiness of that title)

Tom Jones, The Lead and How to Swing It

Iggy Pop, Naughty Little Doggie

No comments: