Wednesday, July 17, 2019

HAITI: THE AFTERSHOCKS OF HISTORY

"May the weapons given to the people for them to defend their liberty be turned against my own breast if ever I conceive of the impious and audacious idea of attacking their rights"--Alexandre Petion, being inaugurated President of the Republic of Haiti in 1807. (His rule was limited to the southern part of the country.)

I've started reading Laurent Dubois' Haiti:  The Aftershocks of History for my History Meetup.  It's an excellent book, sympathetic to the Haitian people yet sophisticated in its perspective. Many of today's Third World problems--a parasitic military elite, inescapable debt load, town vs. country--were already visible here in the 19th century.

I'm now going through the Youtube series Let's Play Myst. (That's a computer game I cheated my way through twenty years ago, which spun off many books and games.) I've also been watching the Michael Beach and City Beautiful channel, which go into lots of detail about urban planning.

Wrote another Korean letter to Hongmin.

Today I went out to the Chapters-Indigo at Yonge & Eglinton and bought a paperback with the poems of Walt Whitman. (We used to have a similar book, but it must have been sold.) I also bought The Bluffer's Guide to Poetry!

I haven't yet started reading Howards End.

No comments: