I've joined nicetomeet.com , a group that eats dinner each week at a different place. (They only reveal the place a day before, giving a sense of mystery!) Last week we ate at Constantine's, this week at Moxie's, which was too loud. At Moxie's I was seated with five women, so I sung that Beach Boys line "Two girls for every boy..." I ate vindaloo and clam chowder, and shared my mega-dessert with the ladies. (Last week I also went to a stitch.com dinner at a Thai restaurant.)
I've had to quit on the evening walks and book talk, at least for now. I'm concentrating on the Saturday afternoon snacking events.
Last week I met Maria and Sergey for the first time in ages, at the nearby What a Bagel! (They just got back from hiking the Santiago trails in Spain.) I'm hoping they'll join me for my History Salon on Sundays. Last Sunday I discussed Canada before Confederation, and this Sunday I'll start on the post-Confederation period.
I've started the Wild West City computer game, where I've taken the name Aloysius Pinkerton. I've also started Global City, where I took the name Sid Vicious and named the city Eppy Center. And I've started from scratch with Empire City: this time I think I can develop the city more efficiently! (All three of these games are pretty similar, to tell the truth, except they're in different time periods.)
We recently watched Rome and now we're watching Deadwood. What a great cast! I'd seen both shows years ago, but forgot how good they were.
When I read a novel whose chapters don't have titles, I've got into the habit of supplying my own chapter titles! I did it with The Librarianist, and Joanne got me to print out a copy for when we discussed it. I accidentally printed three copies. (I hate wasting paper.)
For next month's History Meetup, I'm reading Diana Preston's Paradise in Chains, about the Bounty mutiny and the founding of Australia's first penal colony, which happened around the same time. It's an enjoyable page-turner! With this book each chapter already has a title, but I'm writing a list of the time and place setting for each one.

No comments:
Post a Comment