Friday, February 20, 2015

Under the weather

"What country would you like to fly to?" "Wyoming?"--Dog Day Afternoon

Monday was Family Day, so both the memoir slam and choir practice were cancelled.  I did go out to see Sidney Lumet's Dog Day Afternoon at the Event Screen with the Movie Meetup group. (I'd seen it three times before, but never on the big screen.) With Al Pacino at his best, it seems to get even better with time.  I shared my popcorn and half of it got spilled, but I was in such a good mood that I didn't care!

During hell week I was joking about how it would be nice to get sick for the next weeks, and on Tuesday I did get sick and had to miss the second-week opera performances.  Be careful what you wish for, even in jest.  That night I went to the gala rehearsal and found out it was just for soloists. (The chorus starts rehearsing next week.) But I got the chance to tell Beatrice in person that I'd have to miss some performances, and she was understanding.  This is why I don't have soloist ambitions:  too much riding on you.  I remember the year when Jay Lambie was lead tenor in all twelve of our shows--imagine if he'd got sick!

I took my last sleeping pill and Wednesday I was in bed till 16:00!  I bought some nice big grapefruit.  Father's diet forbids them, but for someone in my condition they're the perfect food.  The best way to eat them is by skinning the sections and just eating the pulp, which removes most of the bitter taste.

I've been watching some episodes of the sitcom I Dream of Jeannie on Youtube, a guilty pleasure from my childhood.  Sure, it's a chauvinist male fantasy, but Barbara Eden had a flair for sexy comedy.  I haven't been up to reading more of Our Mutual Friend, but I finished Shigeru Mizuki's manga about fighting in World War II.  Looking forward to the third volume, about his making ends meet with one arm in postwar Japan.

No comments: