Thursday, April 16, 2015

Facebook groups

Sunday afternoon was the latest ROLT event.  It was about translated foreign-language writing, and I titled it "Speak white!" I read the Grimm fairy tale "The Six Servants" (someone compared it to the X-Men!) and Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale "The Shepherdess and the Sheep." These were both stories that I first encountered in the Classics Illustrated Junior series of fairy-tale comics.  I also read that long sentence from Orhan Pamuk's Istanbul and a short essay or two by Michel de Montaigne.  Someone read some unusual poems by Wyslawa Symborska, and someone else read a bit from Sun Zi's The Art of War and a chapter from Antoine de St.-Exupery's The Little Prince.

In the past few days I've discovered a lot of interesting new Facebook groups.  They're on subjects like America in the 1890s/1920s/1930s or silent cinema.  I've been spending so much time on them that there's been no time for anything else.  Yesterday I missed posting on the Captain Snark forum for the first time in over three weeks!  This also explains why it's been so long since my previous post here.

Sunday will be John Snow's book club and I still haven't finished At the Back of the North Wind.  But I'm progressing, and hope to finish it tomorrow.  I'm also getting closer to finishing Ragtime.

I've scheduled some movie events for the History Discussion Group Meetup, all on Wednesday nights.  We'll be seeing Oklahoma! and the new Far From the Madding Crowd in May and The King and I in June.  I invited John Snow's group to see the Hardy movie--we'll be talking about the book a few days later--and I'm sure Bev will want to see the June movie.  I'll be keeping my eye on the Lightbox schedule to see if they're showing any historical movies in the near future.

No comments: