Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Another book club

Saturday I finished both Ragtime and At the Back of the North Wind.  Now I'm back to reading the foreigners issue of Lapham's Quarterly.

On Sunday I went to the book club to talk about the latter book, which was at the same place as my memoir group!  John Snow was feeling unwell, so I played host.  Just four people came, and John's decided to disband the group. (He still has the Dickens-Hardy book club.)

On the way there I noticed a big rally at Queen's Park to commemorate the centenary of the Armenian genocide.  I also notice a pro-Turkish counter-demonstration across the street from it.  One of the Turkish signs said: "Armenian hate propaganda has no place in multicultural Canada." That's why I don't like outlawing "hate speech"--it's a slippery slope.

Last week at the choir we started doing the song "Can You Can-Can" (to Offenbach's melody) from the kitschy Nicole Kidman musical Moulin Rouge.  For the first time I wondered whether I really want to be in that choir!  This week we started "Pie Jesu" from Requiem by (please don't laugh) Andrew Lloyd Webber.

My cipralex ran out so I went for a refill and I turns out I have to go to see Dr. Hassan tomorrow to renew the prescription!  And I thought it was just a short time since the last renewal.

On The Huffington Post recently there was a report about a Satanist suing the state government.  I posted, "If I had to live in Oklahoma I'd probably become a Satanist too!"  Someone responded "I'm from Oklahoma, and that is so not nice," so I wrote another post: "You Oklahomans have my sympathy, but not as much as Floridians."

No comments: