Saturday, June 13, 2015

Spice cake

Monday night was the choir's year-end concert.  We bought Beatrice and Adolfo a Yorkdale gift certificate.  Moira didn't hate "Can You Can-Can" as much as I feared, though she thought Beatrice's rendition of "Summertime" should have been slower.  I got Giovanni to give us a lift to St. Clair Avenue afterward, but Ora also brought a guy so there were four people in the back seat and Moira had to sit on my lap!

I was tired of Moira always buying Duncan Hines chocolate cake mixes, so I suggested we try spice cake instead.  So she found me a spice cake recipe online and I ended up baking that tonight.  Unfortunately, the brown sugar had some hard lumps that couldn't be broken down.  Sometime I'm going to make goulash!

The other day I went to Rainbow Caterpillar, a children's bookstore near Corso Italia that specializes in foreign languages.  I bought a Portuguese book whose title translates "The Wolf who Wanted a Sweetheart." (I think the original was French.) They also had an Italian book of fairy tales that I may get later.

I went to see Dr. Hassan yesterday.  I was reading The Yearling on the way there and back, and managed to read over 40 pages that day.

I'm concerned about some of Hillary Clinton's supporters.  Debating with them on Facebook, I got the impression that they're seeing what they want to see in her and ignoring that a lot of people see her in less admiring terms, while dismissing Bernie Sanders as a "risk." Just like John Kerry's supporters, indeed.  And they're making an issue of Sanders' supporters being uncivil and divisive.  Yet it's not in the Democratic Party's interest for the leading candidate's shortcomings to be ignored in the name of niceness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Dr. James. Here is a small suggestion for Alec Elixir. If it is truly a blog, and intended for public consumption (it is posted, so I presume it is intended for public consumption), it would be helpful if you were to identify the various individuals whom you mention in the text (eg. Moira, Dr. Hassan). I tell my students that they must see things from the point of view of the reader, and so identification, at least once, is recommended. Incidentally, this is one point which puts me off reading Tolkien (I ground my way through Fellowship, under duress, and have left the rest alone). Tolkien expects the reader to grasp the history, typography and so forth of his created world right off the bat, with no guide in. Not fair. ** See you on July 11?