Friday, June 05, 2015

Facebook group shakeout

It's nice to know that John Snow reads this blog.  In fact, he reminded me that it's been a while since my last post! (Oh well, I guess I need people to spur me on...)

I've been spending a lot of time on Facebook groups.  Too much time, in fact.  So I've been leaving a lot in the last day or two.  At my peak I was in dozens!  Stuff like movie groups focusing on actors like Buster Keaton or Joan Blondell, directors like Billy Wilder or William Wilder, genres like westerns or musicals, periods like the silent era, studios like MGM and RKO...  I was also in groups focusing on America in the '20s, '30s, '40s etc.  These groups are interesting enough, but I've just been spending too much time on them.  For now, I'm keeping a few with subjects like ocean liners and Weimar Germany.  And I'm hesitant about leaving the groups with political subjects, where I sometimes get into interesting discussions.

Last weekend I saw the first part of the New York movie A History of Violence, but I just couldn't get into it.  It's one of those plots were things get worse and worse...

Sunday night I went to Lisa's Storytellers Meetup.  There was a big group of people there talking about ayahuasca-related revelations, which was all Greek to me.

The night before I made gingerbread, and I brought some to that event, as well as the next day's memoir slam and the evening dress rehearsal for next week's choir concert.  It's pretty popular everywhere. (At the memoir slam, one of the subjects was "Better beware," and I uncharacteristically drew a blank and couldn't write anything about it.)

Since finishing the translation of the Portuguese booklet about the life of St. Pedro Claver, I've started translating one more of the Spanish Mortadelo & Filemon comics.  This one's subject is rehabilitation, and looks like more tasteless fun.

1 comment:

John S. said...

Almost time for another blog, Dr. James! They are really interesting.