Tuesday, February 09, 2016

History Discussion Group

"Long ago I learned that you can't save people from themselves.  Either they figure it out on their own or they don't"--Chloe Sevigny in Bloodline

Tuesday I finished A Distant Mirror and started reading Ken McGooghan's Celtic Lightning for next month's History Discussion Group.  That same day, when we were rehearsing Die Fledermaus, I totally forgot that I was one of the two people who were supposed to remove the chaise just before the "Du und Du" waltz, which brought everything to a stop.  Was my face red!

Thursday night was the History Discussion Group Meetup.  There were nine people there, but few of them had read A Distant Mirror. Yet we had a pretty good time.  I managed to sell one of them a ticket to my opera! (Moira's also bought two.  I'll have to peddle them at my Reading Out Loud Meetup too.)

Friday was my fifty-fourth birthday.  Moira bought me a nice fleece sweater and Father's going to get me a hoodie.  Puitak and Gordon brought over lunch.  We went over to Loblaw's and bought a birthday cake of the strawberry shortcake type.  The following day John and Margaret came over and Kathrine made me a vegan chocolate cake! (Two cakes are better than one.)

Saturday I finished Bloodline.  It's a terrific family melodrama.  And I just found out they're making a second season!

Right now they're having a digital film festival at Scotiabank Cinema.  I was hoping to see Mel Gibson in The Road Warrior, which I haven't seen since it first came out, but I had a headache and felt under the weather.

At the memoir group today there were seventeen people!  I've been meeting some interesting people there.  The library is closed next week due to the holiday, so I took home the can of subject cards again to remove duplicates (and contribute a few more).

No comments: