Sunday, February 21, 2016

Opera costumes




Scarface (shooting in mime): "Do it first, do it by yourself, and keep doing it!"

Monday was a holiday, so there was no memoir group or choir practice.  I went to the Revue and saw Howard Hawks' original Scarface (for the third time) with the Classical Movie Meetup group.  It's very entertaining, though I can see why Italian-Americans disliked their often broad depiction here. (I noticed the repeated murder-related imagery involving the letter "X.") And it's way better than Al Pacino's garish remake.  The main thing I remember from that is Pacino complaining that his wife Michelle Pfeiffer never ate--and MP is pretty skinny!

The opera costumes arrived from Malabar Tuesday morning, and I came to help move them and try mine on. (Father was out with our Metropass, so I walked there and back.) I had to finish in a hurry so the stage manager could lock the dressing rooms and return the key to the caretaker, so of course I ended up leaving my glasses inside!  But I got them back in the evening.

I've come down with a bit of a cold, so I had to miss Wednesday night's rehearsal.  I'm concentrating on getting better so I won't miss the dress rehearsals and performances next week!  I've taken to eating pomelos, which are like mega-grapefruit.  I haven't been getting out much, though I did visit my psychiatrist Thursday and had lunch with my friend Pam on Friday, both of which were planned some time earlier.

The family relations in I, Claudius are pretty complicated.  I found a Julio-Claudian family tree on Wikipedia and posted it on the Classic Book Club Meetup message board.

In one of my Facebook groups there's a thread asking what celebrities you've had a crush on.  I've posted pictures of Laura Dern and Francesca Annis.  I also started another thread by posting a picture of Princess Grace's granddaughter Charlotte Casiraghi and saying "Isn't she gorgeous?" (Yes, those pics are at the top of this post.)

No comments: