Sunday, August 07, 2016

FARGO

"You're a Gerhardt!" "That's like Jupiter saying to Pluto, 'You're a planet!"--Fargo

I wasn't quite finished with NYC when I got home.  On Tuesday night we watched the documentary Six by Sondheim, about Stephen Sondheim's career as a Broadway composer, focusing on half a dozen of his songs.  Then I went to the Bloor and saw another documentary, Norman Lear:  Just Another Version of You, about the '70s sitcom creator who created the anti-Moral Majority movement People for the American Way.  The Bloor showed the giant ant movie Them! on Thursday and I would have seen it, but I thought it was at 9:00 when it was actually at 7:00.

Wednesday night the History Discussion Group met at Scallywag's for a Roaring Twenties event discussing Bill Bryson's One Summer:  America 1927. (Jane didn't care for the book so I lent her the 1929 book What a Year! which she liked better.) For the occasion I wore my fedora with my green cardigan and a tie.  There were just three of us but we had a good time.  Margo from Belarus (not to be confused with Margo from Poland), who'd suggested the idea, couldn't be there because she's visiting the Maritimes.  She passed through my hometown of Sackville, N.B.!

We've started watching the second season of the TV version of Fargo, which Moira borrowed from the library.  This is a prequel to the first season, set back in 1979, back when the policewoman's father who runs the diner was a cop himself.  This is how movies should be adapted for TV:   loosely similar, with somewhat parallel settings and characters, but with the same sensibility. 

We're getting into corn season and I had some corn on the cob for dinner! (It's good to have an oblong butter dish so you can roll the cobs in the butter.)

I've been watching some interesting videos on Youtube talking about languages.  Today I actually took a stab at learning Korea's Hangul alphabet!  I also saw the hilarious Gavin McInnes video "Don't Move to New York City."  I just took a free personality test at visualdna.com which concluded I'm a "stargazer" type.

No comments: