Friday, August 26, 2016

Several Meetups

"Actually, 'forsook' is acceptable usage too." "Forsook you and the horse you rode in on!"--August:  Osage County

Sunday afternoon was Reading Out Loud.  The subject this month was science fiction.  My earlier efforts got weak attendance, but this time there were seven people.  One attendee had some copies of a zine he'd published, and the other had a manuscript of a fantasy novel she'd been working on!  I read the penultimate chapter of Tom Swift and His Giant Robot, along with the closing passages of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and H.G. Wells' The Time Machine.

Tuesday I had another singing lesson with Andriy.  Not only is he really cheap, he'll continue for an hour and a half, until I get tired!  I've figured out that Route 1 on York Region Transit will take me along High Tech Road (they actually have a street with that name!) to Silver Linden Drive, not far from Andriy's house.  His focus is on technique, and I think I'm learning a lot.

Wednesday afternoon I went to the Play Reading Meetup at Annette library.  We read through August:  Osage County, which was really fun.  Now I'll have to see the movie!

Wednesday night I went to the Political Discussion Meetup at the Fox & Firkin near Eglinton station.  Much talk about the Trump campaign.  I still wish they'd find a somewhat quieter place.

Last night I went to Rose's Non-Fiction Meetup for the first time in a while.  Our book was History's People, the same book my history group will be discussing in a couple of weeks!  Afterward we hung out at Jack Astor's, where I had a cream soda float.

I've finally finished the winter issue of Lapham's Quarterly (on spying), and started the spring issue on disasters.

I think I need to get my eyes tested again.  The place where I went before is gone, so I'll have to find a new optometrist.


1 comment:

NKLpunya said...

Interesting reading. Thanks for the sharing.
Please come to visit my blog;

http://nklpunya.blogspot.com

And don't mind to spend a few seconds by clicking to the link below to give this boy a vote for his determination

http://woobox.com/vikq2d/gallery/HyQpixBqKhU

Please vote by 31/08/2016

Thank you.