Saturday, August 13, 2016

Singing lessons

I've started taking singing lessons from Andriy Kartuzov, whom I know from the choir.  He charges even less than my first teacher Giuseppe Macina did!  We had our first lesson today, and he takes a more technical approach than Giuseppe did.  I've taken to moving my arms around like an Egyptian dancer while singing to keep them relaxed.

Getting to Andriy's place in Richmond Hill was an adventure in itself!  The first lesson was supposed to be on Tuesday, but I went to Caymus Street instead of Callowhill Street!  Today I carried a printout of his location from Google Maps, as I should have done previously. (There's a lot of my mother in me--she could be goofy about finding places too.) His neighbourhood has some exotic street names like Far Niente and Monet and Iron Horse...

I finished Margaret MacMillan's History's People the other day.  I didn't care for the part about politicians, but liked the part about diarists.  Now I'm reading Hemingway's In Our Time for my book club, and the spying issue of Lapham's Quarterly.

Tonight I saw a documentary about the making of Marilyn Monroe's The Misfits on Youtube.  A sad, poignant story.

We finished the second season of Fargo.  It was even more brilliant and original than the first season!

No comments: