Monday, July 16, 2018

...and the world well lost

Friday afternoon Miriam and I saw the documentary Always at the Carlyle at the Bloor.  It's about a high-class New York City hotel where the whole barroom was decorated by Madeline author Ludwig Bemelmans, and Bobby Short became a famous singer performing at the cafe.

This afternoon was the latest Reading Out Loud Meetup.  The topic was love, so I titled it "...and the world well lost." Eleven people turned up, the best showing in several months.

I read the part of Goodbye to Berlin where Christopher and Sally got to know Clive the rich American; the chapter in Tom Sawyer where Tom took the rap for Becky's offence; the folk poem "The Bailiff's Daughter of Islington" and Tennyson's "Lady Clare." Joanna brought a book of Yeats poems, so we read several of those too.

I've brought out my collection of Classics Illustrated comic books and started reading them.  Some of them we had when I was young, but there are quite a few that I bought in recent years and haven't yet got around to reading! (Yesterday I read the comic of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables.)

No comments: