Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Dora Kheogh

"All labor agitators who try to force men to join a union should be hanged.  In fact, just between ourselves, there oughtn't to be any unions allowed at all; and as it's the best way of fighting the unions, every businessman ought to belong to an employers' association and to the chamber of commerce.  In union there is strength.  So any selfish hog who doesn't join the chamber of commerce ought to be forced to"--Babbitt

Yesterday I went to the Celtic Reading Meetup for the first time.  The subject was Dylan Thomas, and we did quite a bit of reciting. (Future events look promising:  Angela's Ashes, Robert Burns...) The location was the Dora Keogh Irish pub near Broadview station, and we were in a room a lot like the one my groups had in the Mirvish Village Victory Cafe before it was condemned.  

I've decided to move my Meetups to this place too, though only after next week's events.  I discovered this place by accident:  we were going to meet at a Timothy's coffee shop a couple of blocks east, but it was closed because of the murder investigation there! (It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good...)

The new patio is almost finished.  I've hosed sixty tiles the last couple of days--after the noon session I forgot to turn the hose off!  John will soon be adding a back step. It's one of several improvements we'll be making before applying for a reverse mortgage. (Another is a spiral staircase to the attic.)

I've read the Classics Illustrated comic book versions of Lorna Doone--the romantic adventure set in England's west country in the late 17th century--and The Last Days of Pompeyi. (It does seem to me, that's a better way to spell it!)

The home issue of Lapham's Quarterly is excellent!  I've enjoyed the selections from V.S. Naipaul's A House for Mr. Biswas and Sinclair Lewis' Babbitt.

No comments: