Friday, August 24, 2018

The peaceable kingdom

"Do you have guns?  Any weapons?" "The best!  But we won't need them." "Glad to hear it.  I'm taking one anyway"--Planet of the Apes

Mother (on the design of their mansion): "We based it on Versailles' Hall of Mirrors." Daughter (whispering): "And Donald Trump's bathroom!"--Crazy Rich Asians

Sunday I saw Franklin J. Schaffner's Planet of the Apes (for the third time) at the Event Screen with the Movie Meetup group.  Written by Rod Serling, it's like a long episode of his The Twilight Zone:  Serling had a genius for sneaking social comment into the "weird tales" genre. (Cleverly, it works on multiple levels.) Charlton Heston's blowhard tendencies are surprisingly suitable here. Afterward we hung out at the Imperial Pub, where I had chili.

Then I went to Dora Keogh for the Reading Out Loud Meetup.  The topic was Canadian writing, and I titled the event "The Peaceable Kingdom."  I read "Death of a Centenarian" from Mazo de la Roche's second Jalna book and Bliss Carman's poem "A Vagabond Song." A group of Celtic musicians started jamming after a while, but we were in a separate room.

Wednesday I had lunch with Pam at the Schnitzel Hub.

I've finished A Very Short History of Babylon and started reading the Discovery issue of Lapham's Quarterly.

Father got a tooth pulled and he'll have to stay off hard food for a day or two.

Today I saw Crazy Rich Asians with Puitak and Gordon at the Yonge & Dundas. Someone said it was an Asian story Americanized, yet you could also say it was an American story Asianized! Conventional but enjoyable, with a good role for Awkwafina as Her Wisecracking Girlfriend. (Wait till the Kardashians see that Singapore has rich people tackier than them!) Afterward we went to Kimchi Korea House, where I had chicken bibimbap.

No comments: