Thursday, August 30, 2018

Music clips

Time for some more music clips:

Schubert, "Mille Cherubini in Coro." Schubert's cradle song translated into Italian, sung her by the one and only Luciano Pavarotti!

Liszt, third Liebestraum.  This is the famous one, a song about how you should love as long as you can because someday you'll be burying your sweetheart.  Margaret Price is the singer, James Lockhart the pianist.

Verdi, "O Patria Mia" from Aida.  One of my favorite arias from one of my favorite operas.  This is Leontyne Price in one of her greatest roles, in her last Met performance in 1985.

Wagner, finale from Das Rheingold.  The finale from Wagner's first Niebelung opera, where the gods enter their new castle of Valhalla, a mansion paid for with gold stolen from the Rhine maidens, who can be heard briefly. Wagner's music is a bit overwhelming, of course, but it can be remarkably pretty! (This is a 1958 recording directing by Georg Solti.)

Jacques Offenbach, Olympia's Aria from Tales of Hoffmann.  One of my favorite arias from another one of my favorite operas, sung here by Natalie Dessay. (I wish I could find out what production this is.  You don't see sights like those doll puppets every day!)

Edward Elgar, fourth Pomp and Circumstance March. This isn't the famous first one, but a nice one I first heard at Charles and Diana's 1981 wedding.

George Gershwin, Three Preludes for Piano.  One of Gershwin's classical-style compositions, but no less jazzy.  Played by Kristian Zimerman.

Franz Waxman, "Ireland" from The Spirit of St. Louis.  Billy Wilder's 1957 movie of Charles Lindbergh's flight is underrated, even if Jimmy Stewart was a bit too old. Waxman came up with a masterful score, here suggesting the anticipation that came with nearing the flight's completion. (Now I want to see the movie again.)

Loudon Wainwright III, "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road." Wainwright's biggest hit.  What can I say--it's always made me laugh!

Dickie Goodman, "Mr. Jaws." Novelty single from 1975.

The Clash, "Revolution Rock" from London Calling.  Left-wing new age band at their 1979 peak!

Gee, I posted eleven clips this time instead of ten!  Hope you won't expect me to do that every time...

No comments: