Thursday, August 23, 2018

Trailer clips

Just to be different, I thought I'd post some movie trailers I found on Youtube. (None of them spoil the big plot twists, like today's trailers tend to do.)

Blood and Black Lace.  The trailer for Mario Bava's 1964 Italian slasher movie scared me when I was little. (So did trailers for westerns.)

Vengeance! You haven't lived till you've seen a trailer for a 1970 Shaw Brothers chopsocky from Hong Kong. (The music at the beginning comes from the classic western The Big Country.)

Alien.  A classic spooky trailer for Ridley Scott's 1979 sci-fi thriller.

Airplane!  An hilarious trailer for the relentless 1980 disaster-movie spoof.

Heaven's Gate. I remember seeing this trailer for Michael Cimino's notorious 1980 western megaflop, and it does look rather promising.  BTW, the whole movie actually isn't that bad:  the dialogue is terrible ("I'm a victim of my class, James") but some of the crowd scenes are amazing!  It might have made a great silent movie.

Johnny Dangerously.  An offbeat trailer for Amy Heckerling's 1984 gangster-movie spoof.  Never saw it, but I recall it has the Weird Al Yankovic song "This is the Life," with the line "If money can't buy happiness, I guess I'll have to rent it!"

Problem Child.  I heard this 1990 comedy hit was tasteless, but Premiere magazine loved the trailer!

When the Cat's Away.  They used the French trailer for this 1996 French comedy in its American release too. (Most people wouldn't translate "Merde!" as "Damn!") Alas, I'm told that the movie itself wasn't half as funny as what we see here.

The Muse.  Albert Brooks presents his 1999 comedy in a very offbeat trailer!

Couples Retreat.  This 2009 comedy seems to be another case where the trailer was funnier than the movie...

No comments: