Thursday, October 18, 2018

THE BLUE MAX

This evening the History Meetup screened The Blue Max, a mid-'60s movie about German pilots in World War I. (Once again, Malcolm provided the DVD.) The flying scenes were realistic, but George Peppard was a hopelessly lightweight lead!

I've started putting some compost on the garden.  It's pretty dry.  John's planning a big expansion of the garden next year!

A few days ago I saw some episodes of Dragon Ball where Goku visited Penguin Island, setting of the earlier Akira Toriyama anime Dr. Slump.  A couple of the characters looked familiar, and I found the intro of the show's second version on Youtube.  (For the record, Dr. Slump is a comedy about a scientist inventing a robot that looks like a little girl, like that low-budget '80s sitcom Small Wonder with the ear-worm theme song.) I'd seen this intro before.

Back in 1999, I came over to brother Donald's house to print out a draft of my Ph.D. thesis on his computer.  It took a long time to print, and to pass the time Donald showed me some anime videos he had. (He compared them to the "chaser" acts they put on at the end of vaudeville shows, encouraging the audience to leave.) One of them was that Dr. Slump intro, one of the stranger things I've seen in my 56 years.
Now you've seen it too, o reader!

No comments: