Thursday, October 04, 2018

FARGO

"'If he be Mr. Hyde,' he had thought, 'I shall be Mr. Seek'"--The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

"Surmise!"--Fargo

We've started watching the library DVDs of the third season of Fargo, the loose and surprisingly adept reworking of the 1996 American gothic absurdist movie.  We started watching it together but I fell behind the others. (Usually, I'm the one who's ahead.) This one has Ewan MacGregor playing two brothers!

I'm in the last part of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  We get shown surprisingly little of Hyde, like Kurtz in Heart of Darkness. (Less can be more.) There's something Nietzschean about this double character!

Monday night I went to the Celtic Culture Meetup.  We were discussing Samuel Johnson's account of visiting the Scottish Hebrides, which I hadn't got around to reading. But it was still a good discussion, with a full turnout! (My mother was very interested in Samuel Johnson.)

No comments: