Thursday, June 06, 2019

MAIN STREET

"Main Street is the climax of civilization. That this Ford car might stand in front of the Bon Ton Store, Hannibal invaded Rome and Erasmus wrote in Oxford cloisters"--Main Street

I've finished that book of Australian history and started Sinclair Lewis' 1920 novel Main Street, for the Classic Book Club.  It's a sardonic satire about a librarian who marries a doctor, moves to a Minnesota small town and tries to improve the place. (Someone who'd rather not be named lent me a copy of the book, but I misplaced it and borrowed one from the library, so of course afterward the first book showed up after all!) Very sharp writing, right from the start.

I didn't have time to finish translating that Korean book about engineer Jang Yongshil before returning it to the library, but I managed the first half or so, getting to the point where he's about to spend a decade building a water clock system that'll ring the time automatically.  Maybe I'll finish it someday.

I've started a new document going into detail on Korean verbs, with the help of that new book.  I've also started reviewing what I learned on Duolingo.

Last night was the History Discussion Group, where we discussed the Turkish Empire.  There were 15 people, as many as January!  I left behind the porch light bulb I've been using as a talking stone, but one of the members is holding on to it until our next event.

The other day I finally went to the Bay and bought a new set of pajamas.  They're very comfortable, and the only drawback is that the words Tommy Hilfiger glow in the dark!

No comments: